[ale] [OT]How does Android pull off url "spoofing"?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Aug 17 11:56:26 EDT 2013

The only way I've been able to get files transferred from my wife's
Linux box to/from her Android phone is by using AirDroid.  gMTP just
doesn't work.  Anyway when she brings up the app on the droid, it
instructs her to go to www.airdroid.com (might not be perfectly
accurate, I don't recall the exact url for sure) and lo and behold when
she goes to that url, she's connected to her phone, which is connected
via wifi to the router.  How in the heck does Chrome or FF know to
resolve that url to 192.168.2.91:8000 or whatever it is?

I thought I understood networking but that's stumped me.

Thanks for any insight.

Jim.