[ale] Remote access

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Aug 16 16:22:43 EDT 2013

Hi Chuck,

OH.  You want remote KVM control when there's no OS running.  Well, THAT's different.  Sound's like you might need remote power  control too.  Actually, I could use something like that for my Dad's machine when he's not there to boot it and connect me to it so I can use crossloop.

I brought up this topic once before.  I think Michael Warfield? mentioned doing something like that with a raspberry pi.  I don't think anything ever came of it.  There are some commercial products that do this.  I think the cheapest is $ 300 or so.  I've never had the budget to buy one for Dad.  I just drive to Jasper periodically, have lunch with the folks, and work on the pc.

You could try googling remote ip kvm.  I think that's what these are called.  This assumes you could get a remote ip connection into the network that the destination machine is on, perhaps through a vpn.  Some of the units may have a way to initiate an outgoing connection.  I'm not sure.  Such a device can present a severe security risk.

If I see anything interesting in the category, I'll let you know.  I've never personally used this type of equipment.

This may or may not be applicable.  Maybe you can get a watchdog card to automatically reboot the machine if it's down for more than 5 minutes, or whatever.

Do you have a budget for equipment?

Sincerely,

Ron