[ale] [WAY OT] WARNING - diy car ac recharge kits can be dangerous

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 15 15:23:01 EDT 2013

Hi Dustin,

You're welcome.  Don't scare him half to death.  If the compressor is
running, it at least means the sensors are happy.  If it's cutting out
frequently, that doesn't necessarily mean it's low on refrigerant.  In
that case, it could be overcharged.  It might be a good idea to have a
pressure test done by a reputable mechanic though.  Good luck.

It just so happens that my mechanic called me while I was typing this
reply.  I got out light.  It's possible that there was some blockage in
the system and it's possible that I overcharged it.  He couldn't tell
for sure what was the cause of the problem.  All we know is that after
he evacuated the system completely (using a vacuum device) and recharged
it properly, it's working again.  Cost was $ 102.

Yea!  $ 100 is better than $ 500 is better than $ 1000.  Considering the
potential problems, I doubt I'll be using the cans any more.

Gonna have the wife's car checked for pressure just to be sure
everything is safe.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier