[ale] Streaming video via MediaTomb

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 14 20:02:12 EDT 2013

On 08/14/2013 05:49 PM, JD wrote:
> For the RPi, can't you add a remote via USB?  I did for an XMBC box (AMD E350
> APU) and it works great ... with non-pay content. USB remotes are HID devices,
> so they should work fine.
Sure and I even have a remote on my Nexus 7 for it.  The problem with
the RPi running XBMC is that it has not been stable enough for the
non-Linux users in this house.  I have modified my PIs to push more
current to the USB ports.

One of mine constantly experiences a V drop that corrupts the SD card.
This forces a re-install of Raspbmc.  The other one I have configured in
a case for digital VHF communications using the Internet.

Another problem I experienced is the let down of seeing a plugin only
after download is broken.   For me, I like to tinker.  For the others
any problems will be a source of pain for me.  They just need it to work.

UPnP is used more than just on routers.

http://lifehacker.com/5803975/what-is-upnp-and-how-do-i-use-it-to-stream-media-to-my-tv

Chris