[ale] ISC DHCPD config question

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Aug 14 19:12:54 EDT 2013

Options other than what's been mentioned:

* Set rule that says internet access must be within observation range of
the parents, like in the living room.  At non allowable times, internet
connected devices must be left with the parents.  Flagrant violation
results in fewer privileges being allowed.  Parents have master keys to
everything, can monitor and inspect everything, any time.  Kids may not
install software or reconfigure the pc without permission.

* Get something like net nanny software and install on pc, phone, etc.
Program appropriate rules into it.  Not sure if that product works with
Linux.  Windows has some parental control functions built in.  Maybe
something is available as an add on for Linux.

* Find out if Netflix offers sub accounts / logins.  Those may have
parental control features.  Give each child a login and set limits.

* Perhaps the best one, which I think JD alluded to, let the router deal
with it.  Give the kids a separate wifi ssid, possibly even a separate
router.  Make sure their computers cannot log into any other ssid and
that they cannot find the password to the others.  Make sure they cannot
get to the factory reset switch for the router.

My Netgear routers have limited blocking by schedule built in.

My Asus RT-N16 has very sophisticated parental control functions where
you can control hour by hour, day by day, per mac address.  Make sure
the kids cannot change the mac address.  Asus even made a video about it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/IbsuvSjG0xM

Note, if you want aggregate time limits, instead of time windows, you're
probably going to have to use some software on the computer which
monitors access time.

Amazon Kindle ads have been raving on about their built in parental
controls.

Sincerely,

Ron