[ale] Streaming video via MediaTomb

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Aug 14 17:49:00 EDT 2013

I have a new Roku3. It is fast, but if I didn't want Amazon streaming, I'd have
gotten a WD TV-whatever for Netflix. The Roku3 is not designed for local media
at all AND the v3 only has HDMI output. That doesn't work for my HT setup.
Streaming over wifi-G works, never seen it stutter, but the wifi here isn't used
for anything else, just the roku.

For the RPi, can't you add a remote via USB?  I did for an XMBC box (AMD E350
APU) and it works great ... with non-pay content. USB remotes are HID devices,
so they should work fine.

UPnP ... I thought that was a way to open router firewall ports. That isn't
needed for any streaming media.  Perhaps you mean DLNA?  I tried DLNA and found
it always out of date for both Linux and Windows servers. It would show content
from 3 months ago - long deleted.  In the end either NFS or CIFS remote mounts
have been easier.  Or am I completely wrong about UPnP.  BTW, from a security
perspective - disabling UPnP on the router is critical.