[ale] Streaming video via MediaTomb

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 14 16:52:32 EDT 2013

Here is another issue I'm trying to solve.

One of our Dish receivers has died and we are going to cancel that
service and live without it.
While browsing Wal-Mart I saw different boxes at a wide range of cost
for watching Netflix, Amazon, Google Play, etc.

I have one of the first Rokus and I hate it.  It always had streaming
problems.    I have soured on that brand.  I have a couple RPis and can
run XBMC.  That is fine for me, but for the others I need not to be
bothered with issues.

I've been streaming to my XBMC using MediaTomb (UPnP) and I would like
to buy a box that will also stream _FROM_ my desktop running MT.
Googling has talked more about these boxes streaming to a PC using UPnP.

The Chromecast looks nice, but for these kids I need something that is
more stand-alone and with a remote.

Any good recommendations.

If UPnP is a no-go then the ability to attach a USB stick would be fine.

Chris