[ale] More on LEDs...

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Aug 14 12:04:07 EDT 2013

Hi all,

A couple of years ago, the US govt decided to stop requiring the line
frequency to be regulated so tightly.  I'm assuming they implemented the
plan.  Most of the old news articles are gone, and I couldn't find much
by googling.  I did find these:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/25/it-hertz-when-you-do-that-power-grid-to-stop-regulating-60-hz-frequency/
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/power-line-frequency-changes-may-lead-to-trouble-for-usa/
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-06-24-power-grid-appliances-electronics_n.htm

I don't know for sure what the new standards are, but 58 Hz might be OK
within the new guidelines.  Anyone know what the current actual
standards are?

I think the standards are at this source, but I couldn't find them.

http://www.nerc.com/Pages/default.aspx

A modern grid tie inverter for home power will automatically synchronize
to grid frequency within set limits.  Outside of those limits, it
probably won't connect at all.

I checked the manual for an APC Smart UPS:

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z8LAM/ASTE-6Z8LAM_R0_EN.pdf

It's specs are 60 Hz +/- 5%, which works out to 57 Hz - 63 Hz.

PS Many people think they get 110 V from the wall outlet.  Actually, the
standard for the US is 120 V / 240 V for single phase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_power

The power running my computer right now is 120.2 V according to the
Kill-A-Watt EZ.

Sincerely,

Ron

Ron Frazier