[ale] windows to Linux user conversion training guide

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed Aug 14 11:42:14 EDT 2013

I don't believe this is correct:
http://jimkinney.us/3.%2Bssh%252C%2Bscp%2Band%2Brsync.html

That produces "/path/to/files: not a regular file" error for me. Perhaps you meant:

Or alternatively:
scp -r /path/to/files <username>@<hostname>:/path/to/new/files

Of course, the -r will copy subdirectories as well (as I'm sure you know). I assume this was a typo, but perhaps some version of scp has special processing of a trailing asterisk?

~~~

On a broader note, especially for Windows users, I think it's important to discuss parameter expansion somewhere. I say particularly for Windows users because I believe (and my batch file skills are minimal) that in Windows, the individual commands are responsible for expanding converting wildcards into individual files, whereas that happens before the individual command sees the arguments in *nix. So in Windows, when you type:

copy *.txt C:\temp

The copy command sees those two arguments and is responsible for figuring out that the current directory has a.txt b.txt and c.txt. It can be a subtle difference for new shell users at first, but an important one, that here the shell expands those arguments before the command sees them. So a similar line in Linux:

cp *.txt /tmp

Would appear to the cp command as:

cp a.txt b.txt c.txt /tmp

It has no idea whether you typed out the individual files or typed "*.txt". (The cp command *likes* to be anthropomorphized! )

Maybe you feel that's too advanced a concept for this guide, and as I've just demonstrated, it's difficult to explain it very clearly ;-) but I've noticed new users get very confused about why commands sometimes act the way they do in Linux because of this difference. I wish I could remember a particular example right now--perhaps others on the list will add some.

Scott