[ale] windows to Linux user conversion training guide

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 09:42:50 EDT 2013

Heh, heh. Vim is the one true editor as we all know but emacs worshipers
can't wrap their heads around :-)

The grep page looks OK to me. The sub-page is a page of ipsolorum for
testing grep commands on.

The koji section is ALL WRONG! That has much carryover from prior, internal
use so it needs to be mostly dumped and rewritten.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just have time to lightly skim this.  Looks pretty awesome.  I see where a
> subsection under "grep" is not yet filled out. I also noted with amusement
> your section on vi(1).  Reminds me of this (
> http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed-msg.html ).
>
> -- CHS
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I was working at another location, one of the tasks I got to do was
>> to write a training guide to take a windows user and make them a command
>> line junkie in Linux. It was a fun project and the students that used it
>> were enthusiastic about the guide.
>>
>> It's been far too long, but I finally extracted the bulk of that guide
>> and put it up on my site for others to see. Feedback is welcome!
>>
>> It's not complete and due to the removal of much very specific stuff from
>> where it was written it's a bit clunky now. also the migration away from a
>> good but proprietary wiki (Atlassian Confluence) to plain html is less than
>> stellar. I plan to do more from a docbook version for later html
>> publication as soon as I can.
>>
>> the guide is at http://jimkinney.us for now.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III
>> *
>> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
>> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
>> tail. It won't fatten the dog.
>> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>> *
>> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/