[ale] OT: What the hell is XSS in Comcast land?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 07:35:17 EDT 2013

The gui tools are for novices. Always have been and will be. Not trying to
sound as harsh as it seems but most people in this work know the real power
is in the keyboard not the mouse. The gui acts like training wheels.
Learning the command stuff means automation and replication and intense
customization. It also means ownership. Many competent people continue to
use a gui because of the ownership issue. Ownership of the process also
means responsibility for the outcome.

Every decent Linux user, not the casual desktop n00b but the people who use
Linux daily and earn an income from their use, should learn the basics of
the underlying configuration for things like iptables, networking, user
administration, service start and stop, and probably a few others.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:19 AM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 08/12/2013 09:16 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> > Either way, OpenWRT has long had a UI similar to that for the same
> purpose.  It
> > wasn't necessary to use iptables even under older versions of OpenWRT.
>
> For my locations, the UI is **not** and option.  There is just too many
> options
> and settings to be entered and type, tab, type, tab, type, tab for 150
> entries
> doesn't cut it. If that is just the port forwarding and redirection, dno't
> forget about DNS entries, specific IP range blocking, and if you have
> mutliple
> public IPs, it can become impossible to use the GUI.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain