[ale] More on LEDs...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Aug 12 18:34:24 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 08:05 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> If it says X watts and Y lumens, it's a safe bet that the average
> production run will hit those specs. What's harder to gauge is how
> many lumens is needed for a task. For that, I would take various bulbs
> on hand and test.

If it says "X" watts, I would take that as the power it is expected to
consume and less is better, all other things being held equal.  I'm
going to give very little credence to "equivalent to ZZ watt bulb"
claims, as that can be much much too subjective.  The hard numbers are
power consumed, lumens produced, color temperature and life expectancy.
The efficiency is rated in lumens per watt.  The life expectancy is
rated in the age at which it retains 70% of it's output.  Life
expectancy (for {C}FL's and LED's) is typically derated for a duty cycle
of 3 hours use per day (Kitchens?  Seriously - get real - more like 12.
Bedrooms will probably never burn out.  My office - 16 hours per day
min.).  If the packaging doesn't have the "hard numbers" on it, then
it's "no sale" for my cart.

The things I pay most attention to are lumens out and color temperature.
A given number of lumens at one color temperature are NOT going to look
(subjectively) the same brightness as the same number of lumens at
another color temperature.  The "cool white" (which is, ironically, a
higher color temperature than a "warm white") is going to look brighter
due to the sensitivity of the eye to greens and blues in the higher
temperature color.

Cool white is also often referred to as "bright white" while warm white
is often referred to as "soft white".  Grow bulbs and plant bulbs are
often in the middle and rich in the greens and blues.  According to the
Philips tube jacket from my "Natural Sunlight" 4' FL plant bulbs, they
consider "Natural" (plant / grow) to be 5000K and "Daylight" to be 6500K
while they rate "soft white" to be 3000K.  DON'T go by color names.  Go
by color temperature (K / Kelvin), which is better defined as it's the
"black body radiation" color spectrum curve of a given temperature.  The
cooler color temps (4000-5000K) seem to relate to slightly higher lumens
per watt, probably due to less need for color shape filtering to produce
the warmer white tones.

I'm now starting to look over the cost of replacement 4' tubes for the
4' FL fixtures.  Looks like they're in the $30-$40 range per tube with
slightly lower lumens (but some of those lost lumens from the FL tubes
are IR and UV range).  Most of the long-tube LED FL replacements are
chiming in at 80-100 lumens per watt at 18W - 23W per tube for a
4' (40W) FL replacement.  We're getting there.  We're getting there real
quick.  "Shop light" FL tubes are typically 4000K-5000K color temp.
Living space, most people seem to like 2700K - 3000K warm whites like
the old incandescents and lamps of yore...  I like my office at 5000K.

> Wife groused about the bedside lamp being too dim. I vacuumed the cat
> fur off the shade and got a noticeable difference. Seems the black
> cats have been polishing the shade on the inside :-)

Yeah there's always that.  I always have to be careful, too, when
putting new bulbs in fixture sets because the older bulbs (particularly
CFLs) are going to look dimmer because they are dimmer as they age.
CFL's and FL's age and dim much faster than LEDs.

Just showed off something to June earlier today.  When she got back
home, the kitchen can lights were off.  I looked at her and said "and
this is the REAL REASON I like LED's" as I flipped the cluster on at low
dim.  The CFL's in the 3 cans were this dim angry orange glow as they
struggled to warm up.  The LED in the 4th can was immediately on the job
and bright at its low level.  Cranked the dimmer up and the CFL's where
STILL struggling to catch up (but doing much better).  In 5 minutes or
so (depending on dimmer setting) they'll catch up.  But LED's will even
beat incandescents in coming up to full output and dimmer slope is very
smooth.

I'm going to work up a minimum inventory now of new "spare bulbs" that
are all LED and begin rotating them in.  I still have some (too many)
PAR 30s CFLs for our smaller can lights and accent lights.  Our outdoor
floods are all CFLs and that will be pricey to replace at current prices
but they're all relatively new and I can put them off a year or two as
well.  As they get cheaper, they get cheaper, but I'm never in a rush to
run out and buy and I can rotate them into service as I need them.  I
don't HAVE TO replace everything all in one rush.  We've still got some
incandescent bulbs till burning bright.  When they go, they go.

I feel we're now at the saddle point in the curve, the break-even point
where, even if it's more expensive up-front, the longer term return on
investment in LED's makes them more than worth while.  If you can afford
to take the up front hit or can stretch it out while you rotate them in,
it's now worth the effort.  Up till now, these have been "experiments"
for me.  Now, I'm convinced and a believer.  I've convinced myself that
this is the way to go.

My last challenge (and this is a killer) is that bloody 500W Quartz
Halogen Flood in the back.  We're NOT there YET.  Not residential, net
quite yet.