[ale] Would you get Redhat Tomcat from Redhat or Apache?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 15:51:38 EDT 2013

Which is why you need to ue the products and tools that are most likely
going to get the support you need from "upstream" at the time you need
them. If you're using RHEL, they will be the best support you can get as
they can leverage for tomcat5,6 support after apache dumps them.

Default tomcat for RHEL6 is tomcat6

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Tim Watts <tim at cliftonfarm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 14:21 -0400, Scott Plante wrote:
> > Tomcat 7 has been GA for 2.5+ years, and Redhat is still distributing
> > 6? Tomcat 8 is close to release these days. We always use the binaries
> > from Apache because the repositories are too far behind. If we weren't
> > developing our own software, and were just using some packaged product
> > that worked fine with 6 I'd probably feel differently. I'm on both
> > sides of the developer/admin fence though.
>
> This.  I expect TC6 to start moving to EOL within a year.  There just
> aren't enough folks available/interested to maintain that many versions.
>
> And if you ever need support from the Tomcat user list the first thing
> they'll tell you if they sniff out that you're using a non-Apache
> package is to download a "real" Tomcat from Apache and see if you can
> reproduce the problem there.
>

> > Scott

James P. Kinney III
*