[ale] Would you get Redhat Tomcat from Redhat or Apache?

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Mon Aug 12 15:24:28 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 14:21 -0400, Scott Plante wrote:
> Tomcat 7 has been GA for 2.5+ years, and Redhat is still distributing
> 6? Tomcat 8 is close to release these days. We always use the binaries
> from Apache because the repositories are too far behind. If we weren't
> developing our own software, and were just using some packaged product
> that worked fine with 6 I'd probably feel differently. I'm on both
> sides of the developer/admin fence though.

This.  I expect TC6 to start moving to EOL within a year.  There just
aren't enough folks available/interested to maintain that many versions.

And if you ever need support from the Tomcat user list the first thing
they'll tell you if they sniff out that you're using a non-Apache
package is to download a "real" Tomcat from Apache and see if you can
reproduce the problem there.