[ale] Would you get Redhat Tomcat from Redhat or Apache?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:25:03 EDT 2013

RHEL Tomcat will work just fine with Oracle JDK. You just have to do the
alternatives song-n-dance to make it the default. So install the OpenJDK
AND Oracle and make sure you block further updates to OpenJDK in yum/RHN.
Be ready to unblock if a security patch for tomcat calls for an updated
tomcat which wil then force the OpenJDK to update and likely force
alternatives back to openJDK from Oracle.

Good luck getting a Non-RedHat vendor to code with OpenJDK.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> My problem with the RH provided Tomcat is it depends on OpenJDK. If
> you have to worry about support from an application vendor (not RH),
> then they are likely requiring the Oracle JDK. Additionally, the last
> time I tried to get the Tomcat native libraries to work with RH's
> package it was a no-go (had to use the JBoss repos which I don't have
> license for).
>
> I do not, however, compile Tomcat from source for my servers. I use
> the binary packages available from Apache.
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
> > Trying to get back on A topic which relates to linux....
> >
> > If you were charged with putting up a secure internal Web Services
> framework
> > on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.4 for a financial application, would you:
> >
> > "yum install tomcat6"
> >
> > or,
> >
> > go to Apache.org, download the sources, compile, and pray.
> >

> > No, this is not a trick question.    I've always just used the tested
> > supplied Redhat version which "just works".  But there are apparently
> other
> > opinions, just trying to figure out if they are crazy.
> >
> > Neal Rhodes
> > MNOP Ltd

> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.