[ale] OT: What the hell is XSS in Comcast land?

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 23:26:19 EDT 2013

According to the email exchange with Arris, the generic version firmware
can be set to bridge mode from the router's ports once logged into the
admin account, but that the Xfinity version has that removed or just
disabled at Comcast's request. Also it was indicated that there may be a
way through the USB port, but it seems that was strictly for hooking up
a USB device like a printer or HDD or SSD. The Xfinity one seems dead so
Comcast must have it turned off.

On 08/11/2013 09:05 PM, Dustin Strickland wrote:
> Sligtly-OT, and maybe I'm being a little thick-headed here, but what
> sort of legitimate company would /require/ that you call a technical
> support line just to have a gateway set to bridge mode? Smells like
> something rotten to me.
>

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com
> <mailto:terrorpup at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     ATT gave me that shit about LInux Server, when I when NET2ATL until I
>     could support 2MB on fiber any more. To avoid problems I just when
>     with Comcast Business, yes it expensive, but I don't have to deal with
>     someone telling me what I can't run, plus  statics.  I am using there
>     modem, which I think is bull shit as they are charing me $8/m for it.
>     I wish could have stay on Net2Atl, for $75 a month I got 16 ips,
>     Comcast is $90 a month an I only get 5 ips.
>
>     On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Don Kramer <donkramer at gmail.com
>     <mailto:donkramer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > It's changed in one respect, my Arris TG862 when I got it
>     defaulted to the
>     > built in router including wi-fi built into the modem as an
>     "all-in-one"
>     > unit. The settings I access via 10.0.0.1 you cannot change it from
>     there,
>     > they can. Otherwise once that is done, I've power recycled the
>     modem before,
>     > you don't lose the bridge mode.  I run Tomato firmware on my Asus
>     RT-66
>     > router, I recently had to port forward 443 TCP on the modem so I
>     can VPN
>     > into my house. Once it's in bridge mode everything is fine.
>     Ironically I
>     > have two Comcast connections because my condo provides Business
>     Class and
>     > they drop a lan port in each unit, but with one public IP address(
>     NAT?) for
>     > the entire building and no access to the ports, I could never make the
>     > condo's provided internet work with OpenVPN.
>     >
>     > Ale mailing list
>     > Ale at ale.org <mailto:Ale at ale.org>
>     > See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
>     > http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo
>     >

>     --
>     Terror PUP a.k.a
>     Chuck "PUP" Payne
>
>     (678) 636-9678 <tel:%28678%29%20636-9678>
>     -----------------------------------------
>     Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux.
>     -----------------------------------------
>     openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
>     <http://en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup>
>     openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
>     Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
>     skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup
>     freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
>     Register Linux Userid: 155363
>
>     Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
>     to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE
> [...]

Sent from my home PC running Fedora19 to you and NSA, FBI, CIA, HSA
and God only knows who else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!