[ale] More on LEDs...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Aug 11 15:07:55 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-08-11 at 11:39 -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
> On 8/11/2013 10:52, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> > So, to date, I've now replaced standard bulb shaped bulbs with LEDs and
> > candelabra based bulbs in ceiling fans with LEDs and now dimmable CFLs
> > in recessed can lights with LEDs.  The only thing left around this joint
> > now are the full sized 4' fluorescent bulbs.

> You should eventually try out the LED tube replacements on these.  The
> mechanic I use replaced all of his shop light tubes with LEDs.  They're
> just as bright but slashed his power bill and frequent need for
> replacement (plus tube disposal fees).  Several grocery stores around
> here have also replaced their long tube fluorescents in the freezer and
> fridge cases with the LEDs.

Oh, I plan to.  I've already been specing and pricing some out.  They
still need to come down in price some more though.  You don't have near
the energy savings, since full sized fluorescent are already pretty darn
efficient in terms of lumens per watt.  The ROI for me is still a little
bit too far out there yet and it would be a very expensive upfront
investment for me.

The time is coming though.  I'm no longer buying incandencents and I'm
now kicking CFLs to the curb.  Next up are the big fluorescents.
Another couple of years, I'd give it.

> At work all of the overhead streetlights and exterior building lights
> have been switched to LEDs, too (partly to lower the energy consumption
> due to government mandate).  That was a big job, though.  Something like
> four to five thousand fixtures had to be modified.  But the results are
> amazing.  They are very bright even at 25 feet in the air and no
> annoying flicker or strange orange colors from some of the sodium lamps,
> just cool white LEDs (each fixture looks like it has 36 or so LEDs in
> the "bulb").

Regards,
Mike