[ale] More on LEDs...

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Aug 11 14:39:12 EDT 2013

On 8/11/2013 10:52, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> So, to date, I've now replaced standard bulb shaped bulbs with LEDs and
> candelabra based bulbs in ceiling fans with LEDs and now dimmable CFLs
> in recessed can lights with LEDs.  The only thing left around this joint
> now are the full sized 4' fluorescent bulbs.

You should eventually try out the LED tube replacements on these.  The
mechanic I use replaced all of his shop light tubes with LEDs.  They're
just as bright but slashed his power bill and frequent need for
replacement (plus tube disposal fees).  Several grocery stores around
here have also replaced their long tube fluorescents in the freezer and
fridge cases with the LEDs.

At work all of the overhead streetlights and exterior building lights
have been switched to LEDs, too (partly to lower the energy consumption
due to government mandate).  That was a big job, though.  Something like
four to five thousand fixtures had to be modified.  But the results are
amazing.  They are very bright even at 25 feet in the air and no
annoying flicker or strange orange colors from some of the sodium lamps,
just cool white LEDs (each fixture looks like it has 36 or so LEDs in
the "bulb").