[ale] More on LEDs...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Aug 11 13:52:39 EDT 2013

Hey we all had a lively discussion a while back about lighting class
LEDs.  Just thought I would follow up and report my latest experience.

Our kitchen was remodeled years ago with 4 recessed R40 can lights on a
dimmer.  We've used dimmable CFLs in them since and have gone through a
number of them.  So, yet another one burned out (they start to flicker
badly before they completely die).  Ran out to Home Depot and bought
another matching 20W (85W equiv 900 lumen) CFL but also bought a close
equivalent Philips R40 14.5W 800 lumen LED.  I bought the CFL just in
case the LED didn't match the other three lights closely enough for
June's taste.  :-)

Numbers...

CFL: $12
900 lumens
20W
7.3 years life expectancy (based on 3 hours per day).

LED: $35
800 lumens
14.5W
22 years life expectancy (based on 3 hours per day).

Both bulbs 2700 degree color temp.
Both bulbs dimmable.

Oh, my...  Based on life expectancy (3 CFLs == 1 LED) they are almost
identically priced with the LED slightly cheaper.  You've just got that
upfront cost but, then, it's 1/3 the number of bulbs to change and buy
at the store...

Now...  Subjectively...  That 800 lumen bulb matches up to the 900 lumen
CFLs in the other 3 cans almost perfectly (color temp and brightness).
Again, subjectively, it actually looks to be slightly brighter and the
face of the bulb is uniformly clean and white and looks more pleasing to
me than the encased tubes of the CFLs.  The bulb is specifically
designed for "down lighting" like these can lights (it's right on the
packaging).  June is delighted with it.  I think I've bought my last
CFL.

So, to date, I've now replaced standard bulb shaped bulbs with LEDs and
candelabra based bulbs in ceiling fans with LEDs and now dimmable CFLs
in recessed can lights with LEDs.  The only thing left around this joint
now are the full sized 4' fluorescent bulbs.

In my book, LEDs have arrived.

Regards,
Mike