[ale] Should I ground a ethernet switch?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 22:37:20 EDT 2013

My condolences. Don't trust the ground installed by Comcast. A poorly
tightened ground clamp onto a miscellaneous piece of pipe is not a ground.
Get a 5' ground rod, drive it in 3-4' from your house until only 3-4 inches
are above ground. Run  10 gauge ground from that to the cable line ground.
Use no-corrode paste on the connections and tighten to no more turns.
That will NOT stop a direct lighting strike. To do that, replace a section
of the cable with a 1/2A fuse on both the center and shield lines. That
replaced section needs to be as short as possible and each fuse should be
separated by a 1/16" thin nylon sheet or a 1" air gap and encased in a
metal box grounded as above.
Keep a supply of fuses on hand.