[ale] [OT] speaking of british (motorcycle thread) - interesting crypto info circa 1940

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 17:35:03 EDT 2013

It did help that the Allies also occasionally captured the current code
books for the U-boots. One the U-boots was actually captured (U505) and is
now in Chicago.

 From what I read the German Navy and Army had very good code discipline
and rarely provided any cribs to the Allies. The Luftwaffe was apparently
fairly sloppy and tended to provide cribs to the Allies.

One of the more important tactics was direction finding and then home in
on the signal

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com