[ale] diff being boneheaded

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Aug 7 13:53:32 EDT 2013

cat -vt on the files should show non-printing characters including tabs - maybe output of same to additional files and diff on those would help e.g.
cat -vt file1 >file1.vt
cat -vt2 file2 >file2.vt
diff file1.vt file2.vt

Also often if I have large files I want to diff I usually use sdiff instead (widening my terminal session as far as possible first) as it will insure the lines are reasonably close to each other.  (This is a side by side diff.)