[ale] fried innards

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 14:40:47 EDT 2013

Sean,

Does it happen often? Not in my 25 years of hardware experience, it is
actually quite rare.

The fault could be a short in the DVD, a loose connection ( perhaps from
failure to securely plug in the power connector during assembly) or a
failed power supply. If the fault is either the device or connection,
unplugging that power connection should allow the system to run again. If
power supply went over voltage on you then other things are probably fried
as well, but I would expect that to be reflected in the circuit boards
rather than the power connections.

I'm guessing the problem is with the power plug. If you have a volt meter,
you can check for the voltages. I assume this is a 5.25" DVD drive. If so,
you have a 4 pin connector with 2 black (ground), 1 yellow (12V) and 1 red
(5v)  wires in that plug. Test and see if you have voltages near those
after disconnecting the DVD.

Good luck,
Greg Clifton