[ale] Thunderbird Slowness

Michael Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Mon Aug 5 22:31:16 EDT 2013

It all depends on configuration. Cache is, for example, all-or-nothing in it. For global search, it must be enabled. And if you're using a networked $HOME, this is painful. You wind up having to use gmail's interface or beg the sysadmin for a server-side global search functionality or similar.

Most of my other complaints aren't that of speed, exactly, but of efficiency. For example, I have long since disabled all my plugins and addons, yet it insists on tying up a whole core to itself. Quite irritating and wasteful so I kill thunderbird when I want the computer to quiet down. (Seriously.)

I think that more efficient and intelligent clients that make use of all of the modern extensions to IMAP, and used user-configurable caching and such. Oh, crap. I am dreaming again. :)

Sent from my iPhone