[ale] Thunderbird Slowness

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Mon Aug 5 20:50:09 EDT 2013

I was almost sure you were leading up to a punch line that revealed you had
found mutt.

It's not perfect, but it often lives up to its motto.

Of course, some folks (who are not touch typists?) cannot get around the
curses-based interface.

But these are vi-vs-emacs-style inflammatory things for me to say, and my
point is really just to say that I bet mutt has a lot or all of the
features you're after, but it will take some homework-doing before you get
it configured.

It doesn't offer multiple front ends, but it is "Something that is only as
complex as is necessary to do safe, secure, and practical mail, fast."

I know you could use fetchmail+mutt to get a full local cache easily, but
if speed is your only concern, mutt's header cache feature is probably a
better option.  I used it with secure IMAP at one point and it could really
fly, even with very large mailboxes.

I have no idea about Sieve support.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/