[ale] v2v

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:01:07 EDT 2013

JD,

You did a fresh install? What that the KVM server or the Guess?

Pup

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 01:08 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I need to work with v2v, is there a good start
>>
>> I have the guide
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/V2V_Guide/index.html
>>

>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/pdf/V2V_Guide/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-V2V_Guide-en-US.pdf
>>
>>  I was wondering if anyone know a good step-by-step how to use it.
>>
>> I am working to Xen-to-KVM.
>
> I did the xen-to-KVM switch last year.  Good VM backup, install a new OS into
> KVM, restore from the Xen backup into the KVM version.  My backups just include
> the list of packages, settings, and the data - not the entire OS. At restore
> time, I worked backwards, data, settings, then reinstall the packages from the
> list.  dpkg rocks completely.
>
> I never found any tool that would handle all the strangeness perfectly.
> http://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/06/23/new-kvm-vm-host explains the method.
>
> Since migrating the servers, all the issues with Xen-based VMs have stopped. KVM
> has been a joy to use in comparison. No worry that a VM will not boot after a
> kernel update or being forced back 1 or 2 kernels to get a booting system. Yep,
> life has been good under KVM.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org