[ale] OT ways to use your tablet at your desktop

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Aug 5 14:50:26 EDT 2013

> My understanding of imap is that it only accesses emails directly from the
> server and does not store them locally.  Thus, no reading offline.  I could
> be wrong.  I tried imap with eudora open source (based on thunderbird) and it
> didn't let me tag and sort the messages the way I like and propagate those
> through the server to other machines.  Also, I have tens of thousands of
> archived messages from energy mailing lists, etc. going back a decade.  I
> don't think my ISP wants me storing that much mail.

I switched to IMAP as the only mailstore around 1998 and I can't imagine ever
going back to POP. Having all the emails available since then available from any
device is fabulous.  Plus when it comes to searching, IMAP does server-side
searches - not client-side.  The limited power of Arm systems doesn't matter
when the search happens on a Core i5 server.