[ale] Fedora 19 and Java 7

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Aug 2 16:25:35 EDT 2013

Some things that were designed to run in Java 6 won’t run in Java 7.

You can install Java 6  (a/k/a 1.6) from Oracle’s (Solaris) Java site if it is no longer in the Fedora repositories.   You can leave Java 7 (a/k/a 1.7) as the default Java and point whichever application is having the issue to use the newly installed 6 from its location.

Note that Java 6 is EOL and no vendors including RedHat are doing any further bug or security fixes to it though it is still in the RHEL5 repositories.  It is not in the RHEL6 repositories so we had to do the above for one of our older apps running on RHEL6.