[ale] virtual machines, cloud, back-up

Nolan Voight nolan.voight at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 16:20:46 EDT 2013

A friend asked me to look over a hosting deal she was considering for her
business site--the folks offering it used 'cloud' everywhere possible in
the ad copy. I assume this means it's all running on virtual machines, as
are most affordable hosting plans these days.

What is standard practice for back-up on virtual servers (if there is
something approaching standard practice)? Exporting the virtual machine &
storing that copy until it's replaced by the succeeding copy?