[ale] [OT] Looking for an old beater motorcycle.

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 12:25:51 EDT 2013

I ride. Understand, I'm not trying to cut you down, but you will be
extremely lucky to find a bike good enough for the interstate on a $500
budget. For right now, I would recommend putting that in a savings account
or tucking it under a pillow until you can get at least $1500. You're
probably going to want to go after a Honda or Triumph cruiser, as they tend
to be a little more reliable(and affordable). Get something 500cc or over,
you need the torque for when you get into a sticky situation as well as for
interstate riding. You'll want saddlebags and a small toolkit to take with
you, usually a few metric wrenches(since you're looking for a Honda). If
you can, try to get one with loud pipes; people generally don't watch for
motorcycles, but they can sure as hell hear one.

When you find a potential buy, you'll want to look at a few things.
Especially with older motorcycles, there can possibly be rust on the inside
of the tank so bring along a small penlight(also try to keep your gas tank
full to prevent that from happening.). Check the oil and coolant. Look at
the tires, if they have 1cm < of tread they should be fine for a little
while.  Check the chain for rust(If it's a chain-drive, I don't know how
you can check a shaft-drive.). A little surface-rust shouldn't indicate any
problems and should wear off after a few hundred yards of riding. Also be
sure to check the rear sprocket while you're down there; if the chain and
sprockets haven't been replaced in a while(usually $120 for a kit on ebay),
the teeth on the sprocket can start to wear and the ends of the teeth will
start to come off. Other than that, standard vehicle stuff - check the
lights, breaks, clutch, be sure it goes through all the gears properly, and
crank it up to listen.

Get you some gear, too. Fingerless gloves for the summer, insulated
gloves(which can be expensive, $60 or more) for the winter. A helmet,
obviously. A light leather jacket(NOT a vest) will keep your arms from
getting belt-sanded on the asphalt if you wipe out. When winter rolls
around, get some chaps and perhaps a heavier leather jacket. Some people
swear by lined chaps and jackets, but I find it much easier and affordable
to throw on some thermals and a hoodie under the regular gear. You'll want
something to cover your ears too. I rode all through last winter for the
first time, and you would not believe how cold your ears will get at even
35MPH. Get a few good pairs of sunglasses and clear visors.

Check and oil your chain every week and after a rain if you keep it
outside. It should have about 3/4" of play if you try to lift it up from
the bottom towards the top. If it has any more, tighten it up. Check your
lights at least every month. I check mine every week. Other than that,
regular vehicle stuff, check your fluids and be sure that nothing is
falling off. You can use regular motor oil in your engine. I have before,
but do not recommend it. Only do it if you need some ASAP. The additives in
motorcycle oil help out the clutch and using regular oil can cause it to
shift hard. Change your oil and filter every 3000 miles. Get a 12v battery
tender, you can get one at Harbor Freight for about $10. When it's time to
replace the battery, go the extra mile and get one of the gel batteries.
They last alot longer. My stepfather has a Honda VTX 1800 with a gel
battery, and hasn't had to replace it in 6 years(though he's about due for
it now). If you can't afford it, the regular batteries go for about $40 at
Walmart.

I think that about covers all the bases.