[ale] OT fyi EFF petition to stop NSA spying

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Aug 2 06:27:11 EDT 2013

On 08/01/2013 02:14 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> The NSA fully embraced using Linux a long time ago. It was their need
> that lead to the development of the selinux kernel patch that is used
> to lock out users from various areas of the system.
When I worked at Cray Research back in the dark ages, I was in a class
which, in part, covered the orange book security features of the OS.  In
the class was a CIA computer analyst and his boss.  The instructor asked
the boss to comment on our security features.  He replied (not verbatim)
|"Listen, if anyone has the ability to get as far into our site that
they'd confront your security, then they'd have no difficulty breaking
in."  Since the individual was already a part of NSA, that wasn't
applicable in this case.

Jim.