[ale] OT fyi CryptoCat allows instant easy encrypted chat

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 1 19:16:05 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I wanted to pass along some info about a way to instantly set up an
encrypted chat session.  I thought this had been on the list before, but
I searched my email archive and couldn't find it in the ALE folder.  So,
please forgive if this has already been mentioned.  Maybe I was on
another list when it was mentioned.

Anyway, CryptoCat is a project that allows you to set up private
encrypted peer to peer and group chats almost instantly.  It's very
quick and easy to use after installing the browser plugin.

https://crypto.cat/

It's still a work in progress, so you would have to read the docs on the
site and determine how much faith you want to put in it.

There was a weakness in prior versions from 2.0 - 2.0.42 which weakened
the group chat.  Private chats were not affected.  The blog suggests
upgrading to 2.1.* where the problems have been fixed.  Apparently there
was a weakness in the random number generator.

https://blog.crypto.cat/

Some people on the DC-404 list recommended not using this for anything
too sensitive, and I certainly wouldn't bet my life on it.  However, I
would use it if I just wanted to do a quick chat that I didn't want
snooped on and needed moderate security.  I have used it once after
someone I was communicating with suggested skype and I mentioned
misgivings about that.  The process was very painless and we were
chatting to each other within 5 minutes after I got the link from him.

Here's the link to the Firefox plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/kaepora/

It also works on Chrome, Safari, and Mac.  I guess my IE friends and
family are out of luck.

Sincerely,

Ron