[ale] how secure is ssl email login

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Apr 26 14:36:26 EDT 2013

Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

>> The pop server setup is set to
>> - security - ssl always
>> - login - plain
>>
>> The smtp server setup is set to
>> - security - ssl always
>> - login - login
>
>I ran sniffit on my laptop... on my system (Bodhi/Ubuntu) using
>Evolution with similar settings to my mail server (Courier SMTP and
>IMAP
>(not POP) using SSL.. It's all encrypted.
>
>Checked Evolution contacting Google's IMAP and SMTP  as well.
>also all good.
>

>Install sniffit (it's a data level, not packet level sniffer)
>
>mkdir sniff
>cd sniff
>sniffit -s @ -b -l 0
>
>Ctrl-C when done checking your mail or whatever you wanted to do.
>
>Look at the files in that directory.
>
>You may notice other things going on besides just your email.
>Always good to sniff your own system every once in a while
>and see what it is doing.

Hi Mike H,

Thanks for the tip about sniffit.  It's good to know your test came out positive for security.  The sniffit you describe is not available in the google play store for my android tablet.  There is something by that name, but it's a different application.  I'll keep this in mind for my linux machines though.

Sincerely,

Ron