[ale] how secure is ssl email login

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Fri Apr 26 13:08:16 EDT 2013

> The pop server setup is set to
> - security - ssl always
> - login - plain
>
> The smtp server setup is set to
> - security - ssl always
> - login - login

I ran sniffit on my laptop... on my system (Bodhi/Ubuntu) using
Evolution with similar settings to my mail server (Courier SMTP and IMAP
(not POP) using SSL.. It's all encrypted.

Checked Evolution contacting Google's IMAP and SMTP  as well.
also all good.

Install sniffit (it's a data level, not packet level sniffer)

mkdir sniff
cd sniff
sniffit -s @ -b -l 0

Ctrl-C when done checking your mail or whatever you wanted to do.

Look at the files in that directory.

You may notice other things going on besides just your email.
Always good to sniff your own system every once in a while
and see what it is doing.