[ale] Android to Linux

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Wed Apr 24 16:42:46 EDT 2013

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> I did this (distro running under Android) about 6 months ago.  The keyboard
> and mouse support was so bad it didn't work on my setup in a usable fashion
> at all. That is a 10" tablet with a USB keyboard and bluetooth mouse.
> I stopped taking the tablet on travel and returned to taking a netbook.
>
> I was running backtrack5.
>
> Basically, we run a Linux distro inside chroot under a root'ed android, then
> start up the VNC server inside the distro and connect to the GUI using an
> Android VNC client.  It is complicated, but I've seen it working well enough
> for some people, just not for my tablet setup.
>
> Maybe it is better now? It certainly sounds easier to setup.

I'm using this on my Nexus 10 with a bluetooth keyboard and it works a treat. I
use the Linux (Lbuntu - it was the most tested distro they had when I initially
installed) chroot to run LibreOffice and sync some writing with my desktop using
Mercurial. For those purposes, it works pretty well and you don't really even
need a mouse to be functional (I'm using the Jump VNC client, if anyone's
interested).

  -Jason