[ale] [OT] Cheap Cell Phone Plan Options

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Apr 22 18:04:16 EDT 2013

I cannot speak for AT&T, but T-mobile doesn't seem to care which phone. When I
activated the microSIM and transferred my pay-as-I-go plan over, the CSR never
asked anything about the new phone.  That was in January.  I'd previously had
another smartphone using the old SIM for a few months too.

I was cautious to have cell data disabled before installing the SIM, but the
IMEI is like a MAC - they know exactly which model of phone I'm using on their
network. It **is** there network, after all.

I should also say that the only time I **needed** the cell phone for a
pseudo-emergency, there was zero coverage on the interstate in rural SC.  It
simply meant that I had to change the tire myself on a sunny afternoon in 60
degF weather, so not much of an emergency at all.  This happened before I'd
gotten any personal smartphones, though I carried a blackberry since the
late-90s (RIM 950).

Even if the plan I'm on isn't available anymore, there are $30/quarter plans
(minutes expire every 90 days).  That would be 1/3rd the cost of most "cheap"
monthly plans, right?

Google found this: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plans
Seems the plan is still available on t-mobile. Getting on "gold rewards" was the
key to having minutes last 365 days. Actually, if I buy more minutes before the
others expire, then I get the new and keep the old minutes. I've been careful to
never let the minutes expire. NEVER.