[ale] ACLU Files Complaint With FTC Over Android Security Updates

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:01:36 EDT 2013

On 04/22/2013 07:54 AM, Neal Rhodes wrote:
> [...]
> getting paid they don't care if the microphone doesn't work, or it the
> Wifi drops in and out.    But on the Galaxy everything just works
> again.   There really is a tangible value to a manufacturer actually
> testing stuff with their hardware.
>
> I will state a general opinion, which is that a carrier should be
> obligated to continue providing security updates to phones for X years
> after they sell them.  I think a reasonable value for X is between 2
> and 4, because the darn battery will crap out after 2 years.    We are
> now reaching that spot where the processing power in Android phones is
> equal to the needs of 99% of the users, so there is no reason not to
> keep these things for 5-6 years.
>
> Neal Rhodes
>

> On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 01:02 -0400, Jay Lozier wrote:
>> On 04/21/2013 09:29 PM, James Taylor wrote:
>> > I have had a half dozen android phones so far, and not a single one has run the carrier software for longer than it has taken me to root it and load a developer rom.
>> > In my household, I currently have an HTC One S, two Galaxy Vibrants and an LG Optimus, all running the latest Jelly Bean builds for the roms they have loaded.
>> > By the way, I've never had a problem with a warranty return. I either load the original build or send it as is if dead. Not a peep from the vendor.
>> > I can understand most consumers not wanting to deal with this, but most consumers don't want to mess with technology in general.  They just want to use what's handed to them.
>> > Anyone on this list should be able to root a phone and load a rom, maybe with a little help.
>> > Why complain about your provider not updating your phone when you have access to do it yourself?
>> > -jt
>> IMHO the problem is that most people (not people on the list) are afraid
>> of "ruining" their phone if they root the OS, etc. I remember on
>> observation about most users not switching to Linux - it is they are
>> afraid to install any OS on any device (Windows, iOS, Android, etc) and
>> stay with the originally installed OS as updated by the vendor. The
>> issue is then will the vendor take responsibility to protect their
>> mostly technically illiterate customers. That appears to be what the
>> ACLU is complaining about; an implied breach of contract. Whether this
>> has merit is probably depends on the contract terms.
>>
>> It is not that installing an OS particularly hard if you take your time.
>> It can be very tedious depending on what you must do to actually install
>> it (try Windows 7 upgrade from Windows XP).

>> > yes. the ACLU taking this up seems odd.
>> >
>> > However, I've seen a graph somewhere showing that essentially all
>> > iPhones ever made can be updated the current versions of IOS.
>> >
>> > But Android phones are a totally different story.   Once the carrier
>> > stops selling them, they get abandoned and rarely get security
>> > upgrades.
>> >
>> > i'm not an Apple fan, but the different was quite striking.

The parallel to providing support is on computers, Apple, Micro$oft, and
Linux distros have published support cycles for their OS releases. I
should know before buying/installing what the support period is; it's
not hidden. Also, an update path from one release to another is stated
even if it is a PITA (Windows XP direct to Windows 7 sucks).

What I do not know is if the carriers have stated a support cycle for
the OS versions and update paths to newer OS versions - I do not have an
Android.

Jay

>> > If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it:http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=27385&srvid=16vl15t

Jay Lozier