[ale] Of Ansible, Salt and Rex

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sun Apr 21 17:25:11 EDT 2013

My exposure to a large Puppet environment suggested that so much setup
and forethought has to go into it - as JD said - that you become
hidebound; you never want to move beyond the environment you created or
add to it in parallel because the Puppet-induced inertia is so high.
You get to congratulate yourself on the cleverness of your
near-immediate setups of highly complex systems but after a while, it
just feels like you've rearranged the problem but not actually *solved*
it. Made me question why it was ever such a great idea to have hundreds
of servers in an organization, many of which perform different
variations on the same small number of things.