[ale] Linode hacked, CCs and passwords leaked

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Thu Apr 18 11:55:12 EDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 01:50 AM, Wolf Halton wrote:

> I have been testing openvz servers for over a year. Work well for
> simple web services like drupal and less well for i/o-heavy apps like
> evergreen-ils.

It also stinks for applications in networking, since the user doesn't
(at least the last time I used it) get a dedicated networking stack.

LXC provides a networking stack through the use of a network device
namespace for containers, and Xen/KVM simply emulate a full Ethernet
card, usually attached to a software bridge.

I tried to use OpenVZ a long time ago because the management interface
on the setup I was working with wasn't bad, but then when I realized
that I couldn't bring in my IPv6 through a router running as a guest
there...

— Mike