[ale] Moving my phone into the 20th Century

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Apr 17 15:41:30 EDT 2013

On 04/17/2013 03:30 PM, leam hall wrote:
> We have Verizon as the wireless carrier. Would like to get an Android based
> phone on the chance I start doing programming on it. What phones are the best to
> have for programming purposes?

Whatever Google sells, like the Nexus4.  Don't know if that is available
unlocked for Verizon or not.  Mine is GSM.

By stating with google devices, you prevent the network-provider delays in
getting updated OS releases.  It also means you run the reference platform for
Android.

If you plan to run other firmware, then I don't know.

Programming for Android isn't really performed "on the phone" - most devs use
Eclipse on Linux or Windows for development and only use any specific phone for
testing purposes.  While it shouldn't be necessary to have any specific Android
phone for most application development and testing, there do seem to be phone
that are modified by the cell companies which appear to introduce very
noticeable incompatibilities.  Some programs don't work on some phones and I
can't think of any reason beyond vendor customizations or terrible drivers for
that to happen.