[ale] IEEE/ACM?

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Thu Apr 11 22:20:02 EDT 2013

On 4/11/2013 12:55 PM, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On 4/10/13 6:10 PM, Leam Hall wrote:
>> Anyone a member of IEEE and/or ACM?
>>
>> In my fantasy life I'm gearing up to become more of a systems
>> programmer. Not sure it'll happen but would like to associate with
>> smart people. Wondering if either organization would be worth the $$
>> at this stage and later stages. I'm more into understanding the OS
>> than writing a new one. At least for now.
>
> My impression is that they feel the only systems are Windows. That may
> have changed as it's been well over a decade since I was a member of
> either so take it for what it's worth
>
> Usenix (and more recently LOPSA) might be of interest to you -- in
> particular, a lot of Unix / Linux systems programmers have been at
> LISA and some of the other Usenix conferences I've been to
Well, I can't speak for IEEE but ACM is far from Windows Centric. They
are still dominated by academics that do most of their work on*NIX
systems.  It does tend to spend more time in the theoretical world and
less time in production/practical systems. But then again, that is the
beginning link of the technology transfer chain.

Vernard