[ale] [OT] gaming issues

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 18:03:00 EDT 2013

My weapons obsessed teen male plays stupid amounts of multiple games and
many (most?) involve carnage. He also rides bikes, does karate and loves
camping. And for someone from my gene pool, amazingly actually has a social
life with real people. Even girls!

The weakest part of all humans in the psyche. We are easily damaged, hold
grudges and, based on past experiences, make future bad choices.

There's evidence that for some kids, violent video games "gets it out of
their system" (LA area Boys club cleared the streets by putting in dozens
of xboxes with loads of games like call of duty and GTA - the street thugs
came and played games and the gang violence dropped). But for others, it's
a training program. For another group, it holds no interest at all.

Like all things social, one size fits few.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Now that games are being ported to Linux, I assume that FPS will be in the
> mix. With that in mind, would anyone with teenaged children be willing to
> comment on this unpublished blog (it was refused by the Huffington Post):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/c38dfg4
>
>  This is an oped piece wirtten by a teacher who was once a troubled teen
> who packed to school. And got expelled.
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III
*