[ale] PCI kernel drivers and IO remapping

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 20:10:07 EDT 2013

So short of a new driver that works on the new kernel, you'll need to keep
the old kernel. I've seen older scientific hardware hidden behind layers of
firewalls just because an upgrade would ruin it's ability to use a multi-$K
data capture card.

Welcome to the club!

you did recompile that module for the new kernel?

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>wrote:

> On 4/5/2013 16:17, Phil Turmel wrote:
>
>> On 04/05/2013 06:29 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>>
>>> No virtual machines for this particular system.  There's only one OS
>>> running directly on the hardware, we're just at a loss why the remapping
>>> isn't working properly in one kernel version and fine in another.
>>>

>> Because that's a function for kernel modules to use--Linus doesn't
>> believe in stable APIs for drivers.  They're supposed to be submitted to
>> mainline, where they can be taken care of in public.
>>
>> Take a look in the kernel sources at "Documentation/stable_api_**
>> nonsense.txt"
>>

> Well, technically it's compiled as a module and installed using the normal
> module tools.  The problem is that particular PCI card is proprietary and
> so is the code so it's not something that can be released to the public.
>

> (Most of the public doesn't have this particular card, either.  At $20k a
> pop, there aren't many of them).

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.