[ale] [OT] (but computer and cryptography related) Bitcoin, Litecoin

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Wed Apr 3 11:56:45 EDT 2013

Jay Lozier <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many states and municipalities have "licensing" requirements for a
> variety of businesses. Some can be justified but many are methods to
> restrict entry in a field and generate money for the government

And often times, they're almost depressingly funny. I don't know if it's still
the case, but there's a county where I used to live in Virginia that only
required business licenses for two kinds of businesses: junk yards and fortune
tellers. The licensing fee for running a junk yard was a mere $0.75 (yes,
seventy-five cents). For fortune tellers, however, the fee was two orders of
magnitude higher at $75.