[ale] Suggested software for Linux host running Windows in a VM

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:21:26 EDT 2013

I have Windows 7 VM (Virtual Box) on a Mint host and found for my
hardware (old dual core with 4GB Ram - motherboard maxed out) to use the
32 bit version of Windows with 1 core and about 1 GB of memory assigned
seems to work tolerably well. i need to run a couple of Windows apps for
work about 2 or 3 times a month

On 04/02/2013 06:18 PM, John Pilman wrote:

> I used Virtualbox with a Windows 7 VM on an Ubuntu host for about a
> year, and the Windows always dragged.  Then I swapped them and the
> performance improved greatly. I'm not sure what was happening, but I
> got the best performance out of the Windows guest by assigning it only
> one CPU.
> There have been updates to Virtualbox since then, do it may be better
> now.
>
> ...John
>
> On Apr 2, 2013 3:07 PM, "Brandon Wood" <woody at 2143.net
> <mailto:woody at 2143.net>> wrote:
>
>     None yet. I've used Virtual Box box for a long while now; just the
>     other way around; Windows host, Linux VM.
>
>     I mainly just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any
>     other options that others may consider to be better.
>
>     Never hurts to ask.
>

>     On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Richard Bronosky
>     <richard at bronosky.com <mailto:richard at bronosky.com>> wrote:
>
>         Virtual Box is pretty adequate for what you are trying to do.
>         What shortcomings have you encountered?
>

>         On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Brandon Wood <woody at 2143.net
>         <mailto:woody at 2143.net>> wrote:
>
>             All,
>               Looking to run Linux (Fedora 18) on the laptop and move
>             an existing windows install (yes, yes, I suck, it sucks, I
>             know, lets move on) in to a virtual machine.
>
>             Currently doing so using VirtualBox but I was wondering if
>             anyone suggests other VM software to use instead.
>
>             Thanks for the input.

>         --
>         .!# RichardBronosky #!.

Jay Lozier