[ale] screen saver eats 15 - 30 watts

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Tue Apr 2 18:33:01 EDT 2013

On 04/02/2013 02:23 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I miss _REAL_ power switches. You know - when off meant OFF.

I don't miss them... every PSU I purchase has one right on it! :-)

While I get what you're saying, on a more serious note, it is really
nice that we can do thing like shut down computers at the end of a day
and have them automatically startup and be ready for work the next
morning. I used to always keep all systems on all the time so that they
were accessible. Hell, these days, if a system I powered off needs to be
turned on, I don't even need to be in the same room as it—I just send a
WOL command over the network, wait 45 seconds, et voilà, I can do what I
need and even shut the thing down remotely.

I would seriously miss that functionality if it disappeared off the face
of the planet.

— Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch, President