[ale] screen saver eats 15 - 30 watts

Scott Bragg walkingbear at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 11:45:42 EDT 2013

I've seen the same thing with various utilities.  Most of the time what's
kicking the cpu usage up is auto-correct, predictive typing, history
search, spell or grammar checking, etc.  Personally, I don't mind the
software doing something *intelligent* in the background when I'm
typing.

Personally, I'm much less interested in saving every possible watt of
electrical usage or every possible penny on my power bill.  What I am
interested in is getting every possible compute cycle out of my system.
It's almost offensive to me to see a computer sit idle when it could be
doing something useful, or at least interesting.