[ale] anyone installed linux on to a flash drive

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 11:30:42 EDT 2012

What is the purpose of the install? If is for general browsing conectivity
will recommend puppy linux since is working mostly in RAM and saves from
time to time in save file in flash drive. In that way you reduce writes on
the flash drive (we all know the number is limited). Or distro that uses
"the cloud" to save whatever is needing. Today install of linux on flash
media is easy thanks to many tools is not like you have to dd boot sector
to flash drive :)

On Sunday, September 30, 2012, Ted W. <ted at techmachine.net> wrote:
> It's become extraordinarily easy to install Linux on a flash drive. The
simplest way, is with a program called Unetbootin. You can download this
application from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net. Once you download
Unetbootin, plug in your flash drive, fire it up and select the
distribution from the list at the top, or provide your own ISO image in the
browse window. Select your flash drive in the drop down at the bottom and
click "OK". Unetbootin takes care of the rest. Once it's finished you can
reboot your system and choose the flash drive in the boot device menu (You
may need to enable this in your BIOS).

> I hope this gets you on your way, if you need further assistance I'm sure
someone here can help you out.

> Narahari 'n' Savitha
> September 30, 2012 10:02 AM
> Friends:
> I want to install Linux on to a flash drive.
> Has anyone in the ALE family done this ?
> When I install Linux on to a Flash drive, does it mean that I can take it
from machine to machine or is it specific to the hardware that I installed
for ?
> What about taking the flash drive out and plugging it back to the same
machine, that should be doable right ?  I am trying to use this as an
alternate os at work on the same hardware.
> What is the diff between installing the OS on a Flash drive vs running
Live CD (Puppy or Linux Mint that saves data) ?