[ale] Raspberry Pi kit from MCM Electronics

Brandon Wood woody at 2143.net
Tue Sep 25 17:01:42 EDT 2012

Just thought share that I just received the Raspberry Pi kit from MCM
Electronics.

It came with:
 Raspberry Pi PCB Board
 PI plate enclosure
 USB optical mouse & keyboard
 5V 1000 MA AC Adapter

  It was supposed to also include a 4GB SD card but they failed to package
it. I called their office and a human picked up the phone on the second
ring. She very quickly got my order up and I explained what was missing.
She apologized, admitted that they most likely failed to pack it and got
the process started for shipping me the missing item. Great customer
service as the call couldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

Here is a link to the the kit I purchased:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14276

Initial impressions:
While the enclosure, while 'cute', doesn't have a great lid to it and
having to bend the cables around and underneath the board to get it out of
the enclosure doesn't look all that great. I would have opted for a
different enclosure given the choice.

I'm actually surprised by the USB mouse and keyboard. They don't appear to
be the cheapest pieces of crap a company could find. The keyboard feels
solid, is quiet and has a metal base.

I'll admit that this was a bit of an impulse purchase, had I taken the time
to really look I am sure I could have put together the same parts for as
much, if not less.

I look forward to firing this up when I get an SD card in it and trying it
out. :)

--
Woody
Rambling on into the ether....