[ale] [OT] spec'ing drives for a NAS

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:16:31 EDT 2012

Just a note on hard drive manufacturers and the resulting "thinning of the
hurd." I don't have the dates, but I think this happened since the flooding
in Thailand.  Seagate acquired Samsung's spinning drives (I think they kept
the SSD business which would make sense since the are one of the world's
largest memory manufacturers) and WD acquired the Hitachi Global Storage
hard drive business. This MIGHT reveal a bit about who was making drives
for whom and owed some $ or something else. Anyway,  for the future, you
can have any hard drive you want so long as it is a Seagate, Toshiba, or a
WD.

Regarding colored drives, or "drives of color" if you prefer, pretty much
all the drive manufacturers were getting into making the "green"
energy efficient drives, but only WD offered the Black and Blue colors. I'm
pretty sure the Black drives were devised to leverage the marketing $ spent
by Intel and AMD, on "Black" CPUs that have no restriction on overclocking
settings. The Blue drives were somewhere in between the Green drives and
the Black drives performance wise, as I recall.

GC